Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Children’s Institute Series PART 7: SUCCESS (Inspired by the IBLP Children’s Institute Curriculum)

      Today, I would like to share with you a personal struggle that I have been facing. Like many people, I am not sure what I would do when I grow up. But I somewhat know what I would like to do in the future. I know what I enjoy doing, and it would be great to be able to have them in a career.

      But then comes the problem. Many of the occupations that involve the things I enjoy have certain setbacks that I do not wish to endure. For example, a part of my passion is in writing, but as a general rule, writers starve. Writing is a highly competitive field, and only a handful of authors can live on writing alone. As a male, one of my priorities is the assurance that my family, if I end up raising one, would be well provided for. Another thing I have an interest in is digital illustration. However, the art industry is highly demanding, involving tight deadlines and working around the clock. Such working conditions are things I may not easily thrive in, and it may often take time away from my family. Someone once suggested being a speaker. My hesitation to pursue that occupation is due to the fact that many speakers are called away from home many times.

      There you go. That is my struggle. I often end up feeling lost, as each door I look at is decorated by thorns that threatens to prick me should I decide to walk through. Sometimes I wonder why God would give me interests and passions that either may not be able to support me financially or requires a lifestyle I do not want. In addition, I don’t want to settle on average income. I want to be able to make more than the average, so that I can have a comfortable lifestyle and not have financial restrictions. I want all that, but the path my interests offer does not look promising, with differing setbacks I do not want.

      However, as I reflect on myself, I realize that I have been viewing life and the situation from one restricted point of view. In fact, I am looking from man’s point of view. It is ultimately a struggle between the spirit and the flesh, as God continued, time and time again, to invade my closed-up viewpoint and remind me of the larger view that He has. By nature, I’m an idealist, having personal visions of success for my life. But God is telling me that He is the greatest idealist, and His ways of getting to His goals are different from mine. He reminds me of what true success really is. He brings to remembrance the stories I’ve heard of how He has guided people’s paths to reach a life of true fulfilment. He wants me to trust Him with my life.

      Again, it is a war between spirit and flesh. Should wealth be the guiding force for my career choice, or the work that God has planned to be the best fit for me, regardless of income and financial status? Deep down, I know that I must choose the latter. I realize that I am not concerned about money primarily for my needs, but primarily for my wants. Of course, finance should not be left out of my consideration, but I must always remember that God has a way of providing for me. He may surprise me with a whole new possibility that I may not have been aware of before. What I must always keep in mind is that, if I want success, the answer does not lie in the pursuit of high income, but in the pursuit of the kingdom of God.

      Whether the Lord will bless me financially on this earth, I do not know. But I do know that peace, joy, and fulfilment will be mine should I choose to follow His leading all the way. I have to learn to say in every circumstance: “Thy will be done.”

Prayer:
      Heavenly Father, we just want to thank You and to praise You for the works You are doing in our lives. Teach us, O Lord, to trust You more and more. Guide us, O Lord, on the path You have for us. Help us, O Lord, to remember what true success is—the fulfilment of our purposes in accordance to Your plan. Help us to walk by faith. In all things, may Your will be done. We pray all this in Jesus’ precious name. Amen.


      We have reached the end of the blog post series that was inspired by the Children’s Institute curriculum. I hope that the various topics have blessed you in a certain personal way. I am open to differing viewpoints, should anyone wish to express theirs. May God continue to walk with you and draw you closer to Him, as you learn to walk with Him.



Blessings,
Nathanael Chong

No comments:

Post a Comment