Pages

Friday, December 18, 2015

Psalm 23 (Meditation) [Part 3]

Note: In Meditation posts, I will be sharing the lessons and insights I have personally gained from studying and meditating on God’s Word. Please note that these are from my personal viewpoint. I am aware that God may reveal many different insights to different people from the same verse or passage. That is what makes the Bible alive! So don’t stop searching for God’s own personal revelation to you.


      Verse three: He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.


      “He restoreth my soul.” Here, David continues expressing the refreshing experience the Lord gives us. The word “restore” means “to bring back to an original or former condition; to return to a state of health and vigor.” We will grow weary spiritually from time to time. As I have had only seventeen years of life, I may not have yet experience what it would be like to be spiritually weary. But I expect that I will, because we all will.

      When we start feeling unfulfilled in our careers, discouraged, depressed, low-spirited, and like we’re dragging our feet, the world will tells us things like, “Maybe this is not what you should be doing in life,” “It’s time for a change in direction,” and “Stop doing what you’re doing and look for something else that makes you happy.” However, there are two problems. First, it’s not always possible to drop our careers or other activities to start from scratch somewhere else. Second, God may not want us to leave our current paths, even with the struggles heading our way. But whether He wants us to stay or move elsewhere, He wants us to turn to Him for refreshment, because that’s the answer to the fundamental problem. There is no career or activity in this world that will keep us happy all the time. We will face periods of discouragement and pressure, and we will have times when we feel like we cannot go on, no matter how passionate we are of the work. Our souls will get weary, and no change of environment will keep us up for long. What we need is the Life-giver, the One Who restores our souls to a state of vigor and renewed passion. Isaiah 40:31 tells us that “they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.”

      “…he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” The Lord leads me in righteousness. He guides me in righteousness. He instructs me in righteousness, because I can never properly walk in the way of righteousness on my own. I can try to, but I can never do it successfully. I need God to guide me on the right path.

      The implications in the phrase “for his name’s sake” in this particular verse can be perplexing to some. It was to me, for a while. So I was very excited when I figured it out! This phrase can be rephrased as, “for his reputation’s sake.” If that doesn’t ring a bell yet, look at it this way: When we pray, “Lord, please help this person, for Your name’s sake,” what we mean is that, should God answer your prayer, all the glory will go to Him. In other words, we are saying “For Your glory.” Now, we should be able to understand what the psalmist meant when he said, “he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” What I believe he was trying to say is that when I am able to walk in righteousness, I will point to God to give Him the glory, because I cannot do it on my own. When He guides us, we will succeed, and He will get the glory.



Blessings,
Nathanael Chong

No comments:

Post a Comment