Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

Psalm 23 (Meditation) [Part 5]

Note: In Meditation posts, I will be sharing the lessons and insights I have personally gained from studying and meditating on God’s Word. Please note that these are from my personal viewpoint. I am aware that God may reveal many different insights to different people from the same verse or passage. That is what makes the Bible alive! So don’t stop searching for God’s own personal revelation to you.


Verse five: Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.


      Think about that for a moment. Wouldn’t it be cool for God Himself to prepare a banquet? And when God prepares a banquet, it won’t be a simple meal—it will be a feast! All this in front of your enemies. David goes on expressing how God honors this person: “Thou anointest my head with oil.” During the time of the ancient Hebrews, anointing a person with oil is also a mark of hospitality, an act of honoring the guest. So God sets up an elaborate feast for us, and even honors us as guests by anointing us with oil. David accurately says, “My cup runneth over.” This is more than we will ever need.


      Would God do this to anyone? I believe He would only do this for those who faithfully follow in His steps. Just as 1 Samuel 2:30 states, God honors those who honor Him. In Proverbs 29:23 and 22:4, God promises to reward the humble. The prospect of God honoring us would make “turning the other cheek” easier, wouldn’t it? The people who mistreat us today will soon watch us be honored by the Lord, if only we would faithfully develop the character of Christ.

Blessings,
Nathanael Chong

No comments:

Post a Comment